Bandai's Pippin Atmark and @WORLD consoles shipped with 6MB of built-in RAM while the Katz Media Player 2000 shipped with 8MB. This memory was shared by the on-board video (which used 1MB as VRAM) and the Macintosh operating system (which itself took up about 2MB), leaving the remainder to be used by the application. Some Pippin titles required a memory upgrade to launch or enable additional features.
Sometimes referred to as "retention cards", the modules used a custom connector to add 2, 4, 8 or 16MB of RAM, mounted on a small board and housed in a plastic case. As high-capacity modules were very rare, hobbyists have been known to produce handcrafted units.
Because some software updates, such as Internet Kit v.2.0, required a memory upgrade, Bandai Digital Entertainment discounted the price for installing the a 2MB memory modules from JP¥ 15,000 to 9,800 from September 25 to December 10, 1996. It was later repriced at JP¥ 11,800.
|Model||Product ID / Family No.||Year||MSRP|
|Pippin ATMARK ATMARK (sic) Memory Card 2MB||PA-82011||1996|| JP¥ 11,800 |
|Pippin @ ATMARK EX-Memory 4MB||PA-82003-4||1995||?|
|Pippin ATMARK ATMARK (sic) Memory Card 8MB||PA-82013 / 60110||1996||JP¥ 21,800|
|Pippin ATMARK ATMARK (sic) Memory Card 8MB||PA-82013 / 70102, 70109||1997||JP¥ 21,800|
|Pippin @World 16MB Memory Module*||PW10027||1997||?|
* Rare specimens show makeshift labeling.
Titles that require a memory upgradeEdit
The following upgrade requirements presume the 6MB default configuration of most consumer consoles from Bandai Digital Entertainment.
|ad.hoc Medical Practice Quick Training Course||8MB||Will not launch without an upgrade.|
|Circus!||2MB||Will not launch without an upgrade.|
|Gadget: Invention, Travel, & Adventure||2MB||Will not launch without an upgrade.|
|Gundam Virtual Modeler Light||8MB||Will not launch without an upgrade.|
|Internet Kit ver.2.0||2MB||New features require an upgrade.|
|The Journeyman Project: Pegasus Prime||8MB||Will not launch without an upgrade.|
|Mobile Suit Gundam: Zion Dukedom Military-File||2MB||Will not launch without an upgrade.|
|Power Nazoler||2MB||Power Macintosh version requires 4MB free.|
|Star Wars: Dark Forces||?||Demo disc specifies 8MB RAM needed.|
|Super Marathon||2MB||More features enabled in game options.|
|Yellow Brick Road I||2MB||Will not launch without an upgrade.|
|Yellow Brick Road II||2MB||Will not launch without an upgrade.|
- ↑ Useful Notes / Pippin, TV Tropes.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 Adding Memory to the Pippin (French) by Pierre Dandumont, Journal du Lapin. 2016-07-30.
- ↑ 試作RAM分解 (Japanese: Disassembly of prototype RAM), MISUTHiKU. 2001-08-11. Archived 2015-06-21.
- ↑ Memory addition to Pippin, Pipp!n@Archive. Archived 2007-02-03.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 バンダイがピピンのバージョンアップサービス (Japanese), PC Week / Japan. 1996-09-25. Archived 1999-02-23.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 Spec., Pipp!n@Archive. Archived 2007-02-05.
- ↑ PPIN PiPPiN AtMaRK Japan Video Game Console W/CD-ROM Apple System BANDAI Rare, eBay. 2017-04-05.
- ↑ Bandai Pippin Image Archive, The Mac Geek.
- ↑ The Apple Pippin, the unknown console by Pierre Dandumont. Le journal du Lapin. 2016-05-28.
- ↑ Bandai Apple / Atmark Pippin 8MB RAM Memory Card in box - rare, eBay. 2017-04-05.
- ↑ 16MB-RAM増設 (Japanese: 16MB-RAM expansion) by MISUTHiKU. Let's play with Pippin. Archived 2006-06-21.
- ↑ Bandai Electronics - Pippin @World at Old-Computers.com
- ↑ Pippin: 16mb Memory by Mark Johnson, Flickr. 2003-05-09.
- ↑ ad.hoc, a program for the Pippin (French) by Pierre Dandumont, Journal du Lapin. 2018-01-10.
- ↑ Let’s Play Apple Pippin: Circus! (French) by Pierre Dandumont, Journal du Lapin. 2018-03-18.
- ↑ What's New? Internet Kitバージョンアップサービス (Japanese), Atmark Channel Home Page. Archived 1997-01-02.
- ↑ An unreleased Pippin game: The Journeyman Project: Pegasus Prime (French) by Pierre Dandumont, Journal du Lapin. 2017-01-05.
- ↑ Info - Older / unreleased versions, The Journeyman Project.
- ↑ Let's Play Apple Pippin: Zion Dukedom Military-File (French) by Pierre Dandumont, Journal du Lapin. 2018-04-01.
- ↑ パワーナゾラー動作環境 (Japanese: Power Nazoler operating environment), Infortech. Archived 1999-02-22.
- ↑ Katz Media Apple Pippin Development Kit by aspect, AssemblerGames. 2015-06-02.